Saturday, April 26, 2008

Okay...

I didn't get to the new image booklets from Crafty Secrets (yet - the night is still young), but I did work on a project that I've been meaning to do for a long time.

Its a shadow box with a photo of my newphew Hans.




Here's how I made it.


I purchased a 5x7" shadow box from a local dollar store and I painted a base coat using Ranger Industries Paint Dabbers (aqua).

Next, to create the crackle coat, I used a trick that I learned from Claudine Hellmuth's workshop (at Artristy 2007). Take Elmers "Glue All" and smoothed out a very thin coat over the previous coat. (Thick layer will result in big cracks, thin coat results in smaller cracks).

Then using Making Memories Acrylic Paint, brush on a coat over the glue and set aside to dry. If you miss a spot, don't touch up as it may mess with the crackle finish.

After it drys..... the result is a crackle finish without having to buy the crackle coat!

Finishing off the rest of the shadow box was easy. I used Bo-Bunny "Star Struck" polka-a-dot paper, matted the photo with 2 shades of Bazzill Cardstock (sea salt and whirlpool) and added a strip of patterned paper and cardstock then some Doodlebug Buttons, and ric rac.

I used thick chipboard pieces to build up the photo in the box and glued everything in place with Beacon Zip Dry.

Lastly, I used Making Memories White Alphabet Rub-Ons for "Summer 2007".

The results are a dimensional shadow box of baby Hans in all of his 4 month old cuteness!

Mom hasn't seen the results yet, but I'm sure she'll want to make one for herself!

Time to get back to creating something else.

1 comment:

Trude Julie said...

What a niiiice shadowbox (perhaps i have to make one myself?)
Pleeeeease update the blog more often...
Love, Dormsister Trude Julie